What you should know about the process of applying and obtaining the ETIAS

Since April 2020, the European Commission has voted for the establishment of an electronic travel authorization system.  Nationals of countries eligible for this program will therefore no longer need to apply for a traditional visa for stays of hardly more than 90 days.  However, it is important to clarify that the process of applying for and obtaining the ETIAS is nothing like that of the classic Schengen visa.  So what should you know about this process?

Where is the ETIAS request made?

The ETIAS request, unlike the Schengen visa request, is not made directly at the embassy.  The application is made online, and for this, you must necessarily go to the official website of the ETIAS.  Once on the site, you will complete the ETIAS application form.  More information on etias-visas.com.

 When to apply for ETIAS?

It is advisable to request your ETIAS at least 72 hours before your departure.  Indeed, the validation process at the level of the authorities is 24 to 72 hours.  By doing it 72 hours instead, you can be sure not to miss your flight.

 ETIAS compulsory for minors?

All eligible persons wishing to enter for a period of three months in one of the countries of the Schengen area must necessarily have this authorization.  Minors are therefore also concerned. So you  will  not be able to travel with your child if they do not also have an ETIAS authorization.

Is ETIAS free?

ETIAS is not completely free.  By making the ETIAS request, you must pay certain fees.  These costs amount to just 7 euros.  However, it is important to clarify that ETIAS is completely free for minors.

Is the ETIAS application still approved in all cases?

By applying for ETIAS, you cannot be sure that you will get it automatically.  Your request can therefore be rejected.  If this is the case, the reason for the rejection will be notified to you by email.  In the event that this rejection is not final, but only due to certain errors when filling out the form, you can always update your request in order to obtain your authorization.  If the problem is a little more serious, your best option would be to approach the embassy of the country concerned.